Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Wruting

NEWSFLASH!!! I SOMETIMES SUCK AT WRUTING!!!

Yes, I misspelled writing in the headline. No I am not going to change it.  Some of my vast number of readers (hey I have more readers than Jason Bartlett and Orlando Hudson have base hits, COMBINED!) may have read my previous post about my (not so brief) history of being a Padres fan. I took my laptop with me to the softball fields (where I work) and was writing my post while also following the Padres game on my phone.  I could tell I had many mistakes and there were often times I was unsure on the syntax, word choice and basic grammar of a sentence or paragraph. I was also hitting a wall, stumbling upon the old writer's block.   One of the people I follow (and apparently she follows me) is a copy editor for a college newspaper.  I sent a tweet to her telling her I may be in need of her editing services.  However, with my fat fingers and trying to figure out exactly how to word it, autocorrect didn't work and the tweet came out looking like this:

Yep. "Wruting" I didn't even notice, as at the same time I was checking out the game, and doing real work. Well, doing what I was paid to do. Not sure one could call it work.  However, my favorite comedian and all around jerk (I kid, I kid...or Do I? Who else has a gorilla flipping everyone else? Awesome Avatar I must say) Eromsnud Ttocs (@homersapien619), chimed in as well

I have to admit, I was getting a little bit frustrated at this point.  It really was an honest typo.  I was getting frustrated with where my article was going, feeling like a complete failure at my blogging endeavor.  The Padres just lost to an man older than my mom (that is the truth) and now I was being treated on the internet as a talentless hack that I was beginning to believe I was (and may still be).  When Colleen told me this, I knew it was a joke, but I was about to lose it
Failing Miserably.  Exactly.  I really wanted to quit right then and not even bother anymore. I lost any desire to continue.  What was the point? What is the point? 

A funny thing happened. I smacked myself out of my pity party and remembered it was silly to get offended. I remembered I was doing this for me, and I could let the mistakes and criticisms bring me down, or I could learn from them, and laugh at them.  As the banter continued, we discovered that #wruting could become the next internet meme.  

Earlier today, @homersapien619 and I had few exchanges involving some internet meme's including some which are San Diego based. I was familiar with them all, but I guess he was making sure, as he sent me a link to this article on Avenging Jack Murphy which explained them all as well. The article gave me the idea that I pitched to "Homer" that we should coordinate with Colleen and explain the #wruting meme.  A 3 part narrative that will be more epic than Star Wars!!! Okay Lord of the Rings? Twilight? Okay so its not that epic, but I wrote my part.  

One of my goals with this blog is to become not only a better writer, but a better person. Learning to utilize the lessons I learn from the game of baseball and a less than stellar team. Part of that means putting myself out there and learning to take criticisms, and take a joke.  And turn an honest mistake into  a fun running gag. So my skills as a scribe might still be crap.  I still need to get better, and keep practicing.  I'm only going to get better, if I keep on #wruting.  


No comments:

Post a Comment