Thursday, May 3, 2012

Exit Sandman

Okay, so I stole that line from a tweet from Eddie Carifio, the sports Editor of the Yuma Sun.  I'm sure others have said it too.  Mariano Rivera, the career saves leader, who enters to the song "Enter Sandman" tore his ACL in perhaps the freakiest way imaginable.  Shagging Fly balls. Seriously.  Like if i was cruel (and I can be) and trying to play a joke on someone, I'm sure I would say dude x just tore his ACL shagging flyballs. And they would know I'm joking because, who the hell gets hurt doing that?  Like I said, I can be cruel.  My first thought, upon hearing the injury news, was "Wow that sucks for him" My second thought was, why couldn't this have happened a year ago? Or at least 7 saves ago, leaving him at 601, 1 save shy of Trevor Hoffman's previous record.  I just tweeted how its probably inappropriate to think that, but, I'm a Padres fan first and foremost.  I know there are more of you out there thinking the same thing, whether or not you will admit it.  Another follower of mine responded saying it is terrible, but was thinking the same. He then pondered if Trevor could come out of retirement after the Padres trade Street. My mind dismissed the thought at first. But then I thought, why not? Couldn't Trevor get 7 more saves?  Think of the implications. When Hell's Bell's plays, we can preface it with "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, Marino, it tolls for you!!" (which pigtails off my first thought of how that would have been some form of headline or trolling tweet if Rivera had got hurt at 601 or earlier) Alas, Its all just pipe dreams. Trevor is much classier than that.  The day Trevor comes out of retirement just to get his record back is the day Orlando Hudson mows his own lawn. Or I become a #wruter for ESPN. Speaking of which, I have this idea for a sports comedy site....

1 comment:

  1. A) I had the same thought.
    B) It wouldn't matter, because even if Rivera had 50 fewer saves, he played for the Yankees and was part of WS championships, and phenomenal in the post season, so only one fan base would think of Trevor as the king.
    C) My son tore his ACL in the middle of the night when our cat tripped him as my son was going into the bathroom in the dark. He fell down the stairs trying to avoid stepping on her. It ended his high school basketball career.

    ReplyDelete