Thursday, May 10, 2012

Light a match, and watch the bridges burn

The San Diego Padres baseball team may have the best pitching staff on the DL.  Stauffer (who's due back soon) Luebke, Moseley, Owings, and now Joe Wieland.  I'm glad they didn't say "only expected to miss one start" and put him on the DL right away. That actually gives me hope we might see him again soon.  Every other pitcher who has been reported as being likely to just miss a start has had a significant long term injury.  So, rest up Joe, and get back here. 

There has been some speculation that Josh Byrnes has been so busy dealing with injuries to the Padres, particularly at pitcher, that he hasn't had time to think about getting rid of Bartlett.  I'm of the mind that if Andy Parrino was playing better, Bartlett would be gone by now.  I know its beating a dead horse to keep asking for his release. So my next question is, why is he still here? The answer? no other options and I think the team may be afraid of burning that bridge before they have too.  But they are approaching the point of no return with Bartlett, namely the vesting option based on plate appearances. Too bad its not based on At Bats, since sacrifices (which is all he seems to do anymore) don't count.

Kind of a weird stretch here. Day game Wednesday that I didn't get to see or pay attention to, followed by an off day tomorrow, makes for about 69 hours between watching the Padres.  Coming home tonight, I was struck by how much baseball does consume my life.  I had no plans, and no one to talk with. Pretty boring lifestyle I lead. Maybe I should have started writing, but I wasn't particularly in the mood.  Oh well. Its here now.  Until next time, KTF

No comments:

Post a Comment